Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Furies – 2011 Year-End Q & A

1. Favorite Book:

Poena: Tie - Big Bad Beast by Shelly Laurenston & Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews. Oh...just rabid fangirl squee!

Arai: Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennet. It's so good that I almost wish I would have found it a few years from now when I would have more books in the series to blow through in a haze of pure indulgence.

Maniai: Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (it's not a romance and it really just kind of wanders all over the place, but characters! OMG the characters!). For romance, though, Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley.



2. Book You Want to Forget:

Poena: Avenger's Angel by Heather Killough-Walden. I...I...Yeah, I've seen more thought and creativity put into fan-fiction. Really? An archangel has nothing better to do then become an actor?!! Where is MST3K when you need them?

Arai: Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione. I know that a lot of people really loved this book but, for me, this just did not click. I was frustrated by the insane amount of pop culture references that date the book, a story that couldn't keep me engaged, and characters that I didn't care about.

Also, I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. I read somewhere that this book was written solely for the purpose of creating a movie. Now, this could be true or it could be someone's opinion but, either way, that's exactly how the book reads. And not in a good way. It was half-assed and written to have big explosions with pretty girls.

Maniai: Seduce Me In Dreams by Jacquelyn Frank. I'm not sure what's worse: an all-out crap book, or a book with a great story idea that's ruined by amateur writing and lousy editing. This was the latter. Seriously, it had everything - pages of pointless exposition a la NaNoWriMo; 80's-style super-lust and magical hoojoo that conquers all wounds, infections, and sexual assault; embarrassing dialog, epithets of doom, an apparent allergy to simple dialog tags, POVs all over the place, and of course - the extreme Mary Sue. More insulting is that this mess was published by a major name. But what really sucked was that it was the first GoodReads giveaway I'd ever won, and I had to give it a 1-star, rantastic review. However, since it came to me in paper form, I did get to take pleasure in actually physically throwing it against a wall multiple times.

3. Biggest Disappointment:

Poena: Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh. I think my expectations were just too high. Loved Sienna. Hawke? Not so much. Don't get me wrong, it's a good book and there are some amazing scenes, but I felt it was uneven both in storytelling and execution.

Arai: Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I enjoyed the first couple books of the series, but I felt that the author deviated way too far from the established personality of the characters for the sole purpose of having a cheap trick to create conflict in a relationship rather than to encourage character growth.

Maniai: The Goblin King by Shona Husk. It wasn't terrible, but man, I really, really wanted it to be amazing. Again, great concept, but kind of weak follow-through. So much sitting around dealing with being a monster and how hopeless their curse is. My inner Labyrinth fangirl wanted something new and fresh and grownup upon which to glom in the mythos of goblins.

Also The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook and Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran. People raved about these so much, and they left me cold.

4. Biggest Surprise:

Poena: Tie - Bearded Women Stories by Teresa Milbrodt & Bunny and the Bear by Eve Langlais. I admit that I read Bearded Women as a lark, but was completely blown away by the depth of the awesome writing. I got a huge kick of out Bunny and Eve Langlais is quickly becoming my one of 'go to' authors.

Arai: Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh. I've been putting it off and putting it off because of the cover (seriously, Ms. Singh, I love your books but, and I say this with love, your covers are atrocious). Finally, I was hounded enough that I sat down and read the first book. I then blew through the rest of the series within a month. There are a few books I like less in the series, but Slave to Sensation was a great introduction to a new world.

Dark Descendant by Jenna Black was also a bit of a surprise for me. I stumbled across it when I was searching for Urban Fantasy/Supernatural books that contained gods and goddesses for adults (really, do a search, there aren't as many as you think there should be, especially compared to the plethora in YA) and stumbled across this story. I was a little skeptical during the first chapter but the book really grew on me. I loved the world-building and I'm insanely excited to see what happens in the second book.

Maniai: Breathless by Anne Stuart. The third book in her Rohan series, it really just blew me away. As in, it was one of my top contenders for best read of the year. Considering how the books leading up to it have gone, that's nothing short of a miracle. I honestly don't know why or how I kept with that series up to the third book, as they were all 3-star reads or less. But Breathless was fantastic. I remember just how awful the hero was, which was a feature that kind of failed in the previous books for me. The whole asshole-rake and sweet-tsl-virgin-who-redeems-him trope is strong with this series. But Miranda Rohan was so much more than that. She really saved the book, and the turnaround in the hero just felt really sincere.

5. Favorite New Author:

Poena: Eve Langlais is the find of the year for me. She's been in my little (snort!) TBR for a while, but this year I've finally got to reading her and even the story I wasn't thrilled with (rating C) was still entertaining and her characters are always worth spending time with.

Arai: Jenn Bennett. As far as I'm concerned, the woman can't write fast enough. I'm really hoping her second book is as good as the first and manages to avoid the sophomore slump.

Maniai: Courtney Milan just never ceases to amaze me. But honestly that's more about her online presence and how she operates as an author. Her books are good, too, but I haven't been totally mind-blown yet. Still, I honestly will buy her books just because she's that cool (and fairly priced!).

For awesome reads, this was my year to discover and fall in love with Jennifer Ashley.

6. Go to Author:

Poena: Shelly Laurenston and Ilona Andrews. Neither have disappointed me and their books are consistently re-reads.

Arai: I have less go-to authors, more go-to specific stories for when I need a comfort book. This includes Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom, both by Louisa Mae Alcott (the woman who wrote another of my go-to books, Little Women). The first makes me think to the lightness of childhood and is easily a feel-good book. The second is the sequel, taking place when our main character is an adult. There is a part that never fails to make me cry, but the ending more than makes up for the heartache.

Maniai: Zoe Archer, Jennifer Ashley, and Cherise Sinclair.


7. Favorite Hero/Heroine:

Poena: Ric Van Holtz from Big Bad Beast by Shelly Laurenston. Ric is all kinds of awesomesauce and he cooks, too. He was the perfect yang to ubber alpha female, Dee-Ann Smith's yin.

Sienna Lauren from Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh. I expected to like Sienna because I've been interested in her character from the get go, but I didn't expect to absolutely love her. She was the perfect counterpart for the Hawke I loved.

Arai: Kara Gillian from the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland. She's an investigative cop who also summons demons in her basement. Could you ask for me?

As for the hero, I think I'm going to put Owen Grayson from the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep. He's calm, collected, intelligent, and definitely able to deal with the most random stuff that gets dumped on him (read: your girlfriend is an assassin) while still being able to hold his own.

Maniai: Ashwini and Dmitri (but not together!) from Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter Series (I've only just finished Angels' Pawn and Angels' Blood, so I reserve the right to change my mind). Ashwini is like this awesome little dose of badassed crazy that gets sprinkled here and there, and Dmitri almost makes me think vampires can still be sexy. We'll see when I hit book four.

8. Favorite Couple:

Poena: Kate/Curran from Ilona Andrews' Magic Slays. This is a couple that had been circling each other for several books and finally in Magic Slays they are an official couple. But just because they are now together, it doesn't mean things are smooth sailing for them. Their relationship is solid when the world around them crumbles. Kudos to Ms. Andrews for not taking the well-traveled road once the couple is established. She could have been lazy and gone tropestacular, but instead turned an expected cliche on its ear. I can't wait for more.

Arai: I have a three-way tie for this because I'm fickle and refuse to pick one. First, Mercy and Riley from Nalini Singh's Branded by Fire. I loved Mercy right off the bat and Riley's quips and counters to her temper make me want to steal him for my very own. But, unfortunately, he wouldn't be the same delicious man he is without Mercy.

Second pairing, Ethan and Merit from Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Series. I wasn't that keen on Ethan in the first novel but he grows and develops in the course of the series, showing you a real vulnerability at moments that make him a realistic man; he's strong but he's still going to make mistakes. Merit acts as a wonderful foil for his character, both of them pushing the other to grow in more positive ways.

Finally, Arcadia and Lon from Jenn Bennett's Kindling the Moon. There's a bit of an age-difference between the two but, instead of that creating an issue, it's used to the couple's benefit. Lon isn't used as the typical male who's going to get angry first and ask for clarification later when shit hits the fan. I felt like he wasn't your typical male lead, both in appearance and temperament, and that made me love him even more. Arcadia definitely has that gritty feel to her, having a tough history, but I love seeing her softer side around Lon.

Maniai: Anna/Court from If You Dare by Kresley Cole. So much crackling energy between these two with their flaws and attitudes and biases against each other. Somehow it just worked. And the sex? SMOKE-ing hot. Not to mention, I absolutely loved when Anna started doing imitations of Court's brogue. Brilliant. It was really difficult not to try and squeeze this book in my top spot.

Also, since I just finished it under the wire, a nod to Zora/Whit in Devil's Kiss by Zoe Archer. I love how she really saves him, but it doesn't take away from his strength in any way.

9. Favorite Series:

Poena: Bar none! Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews with the Pride series by Shelly Laurenston coming in a close second.

Arai: Chicagoland Series by Chloe Neill and Kara Gillian Series by Diana Rowland are both full of win in my book.

Maniai: Masters of the Shadowland by Cherise Sinclair. I won't lie - it's smut. It's BDSM smut. It's unapologetically unrealistic BDSM smut, but it's written well and it really explores the psychology of why it's so hot. Which makes it even hotter.

Honorable mentions to Eve Silver's Otherkin series, and Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series. I just started them, but I'm really enjoying them so far and look forward to more!


10. Favorite Covers:

Poena:


I loved the striking cover for Anna Dressed in Blood from the moment I saw it. Despite being a review I'd like to forget, I'm sticking with Demons Like it Hot as one of the best PNR covers of the year.

Arai:


There were so many amazing covers this year that I felt it was near impossible to pick just two. It also didn't help that I never marked a cover down when I thought it looked amazing so I had to do a bit of hunting. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the final two.

Maniai:


I haven't read any of these, but you know? My eye was so drawn to these that I tracked them down to read their blurbs and added a few to my to-get list. It's a sad truth, but cover art matters SO much. And the romance industry could clearly stand to take a few lessons from the YA industry in that department.

0 comments:

Tell us what you think...