Monday, December 5, 2011

Review: Bearded Women Stories by Teresa Milbrodt



Title: Bearded Women Stories
Author: Teresa Milbrodt
Genre: Short stories
Heat Index: 1 out of 5
Release Date: Nov. 1, 2011
Word/Page Count: 250 pages
Format: NetGalley

Welcome to the contemporary Freak Show! A woman trying to have a child has a parasitic twin, an extra lower torso, and set of legs named Bianca - should she have "Bianca''s Body" removed to improve her chances at conception? A bearded lady considers coming out of the closet about her hirsute nature, while carrying on a battle of wills with an overeating patron in "Mr. Chicken." A woman with four ears gets a chance to make extra money as the mascot of a tattoo parlour, and encounters a middle-aged, cookie-baking stalker who believes she is a sign that the end of the world is nigh. Meet the "freaks"-they''re mothers, wives, and lovers: all of them trying negotiate a world that is quicker to stare than sympathize.


I confess to being a cover snob. It doesn't matter if it's a bestseller or a self-pub. I look at covers and critique them (though I'm way more understanding of self-pubs). Anyone who says book covers aren't important is naive. It doesn't matter if it's digital or dead tree, covers grab attention before blurbs can sell the book.

The cover of Bearded Women Stories grabbed my attention. I admit that my first thought was, "What's Jesus doing in a dress?" Then I saw the title and thought I have to read this wtfery. But it was

Meet the 'freaks' - they're mothers, wives, and lovers: all of them trying negotiate a world that is quicker to stare than sympathize.

that sold me on reading this book.

This is a set of short stories about 'freaks' and I have to say the whole book was quite wonderful. Don't get me wrong, it is weird but it is also poignant and the characters come to life. I couldn't help but think of the best Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories episodes. It has been a long time since I've read short stories where the characters jumped and grabbed my attention from the beginning. Maybe it was because they were freaks. Maybe it was because the stories were so compellingly written. Maybe it was because I haven't been in this 'genre' for years. Maybe it is all that and more.

What I can definitely say is that there isn't a 'bad' story in the bunch. Some are better than others. My favorites were Snakes and Things I've Been Meaning To Tell You, though Seventeen Episodes in the Life of a Giant, nearly made me cry.

These are more 'slices of life' than full stories, so be prepared to go..."Wait! What do you mean it's over?" But in the end these might leave you thinking that weird isn't necessarily bad, just different. I definitely recommend these stories, especially if you are in a reading rut and looking for something completely different.

0 comments:

Tell us what you think...