Saturday, December 24, 2011

Review: The Dragon Who Loved Me by G. A. Aiken


Title: The Dragon Who Loved Me (The Dragon Kin #5)
Author: G. A. Aiken
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Heat Index: 3 out of 5
Release Date: Sept. 6, 2011
Word/Page Count: 383 pages
Format: Purchased

I was raised for battle. And as the first daughter of a warrior family, I've earned my reputation the hard way. Yet now I fight alongside uncivilized male Northland dragons who think a female is only good for breeding and waiting back home in the cave. But it's the foolish and foolhardy who would try to stop me, Rhona the Fearless, from doing what I do best—destroying the enemies of my kind.

So the smartest thing wily barbarian Vigholf the Abhorrent can do for me is stay out of my way as we risk all on a deadly mission in enemy territory. I don't care if he's fascinated by me, even though he is as attractive as he is resourceful. He's having far too much fun putting me in difficult situations and testing my sense of duty to the limit. And I'm going to enjoy challenging his insufferable confidence, outwitting his schemes, and making him surrender in the wildest ways. . .


Confession time. I LOVE dragons, especially G.A. Aiken's dragons, so this is probably just a rabid fangirl review.

I've followed (and loved) the Dragon Kin series back when it started in ebook format with Annwyl's story. What's not to love about dragons - and I mean bloodthirsty, randy, violent dragons who have now qualms about eating people - magic, adventure and totally kick ass heroines. This series went from fun, erotica romance set in a magical age to an epic, complex adventure with hot sex.

DO NOT start the series with this book. This book is a series (new couples with each book) in a serial manner. There is an overarching plot that carries throughout the books and that's the reason that there are various POVs in the books. Characters from book one still matter in book five. And I love that. We still see the Mad Queen in all her bloody psychotic glory.

I didn't remember Rhona or Vigholf, so I wasn't dying to read their story, but I was anxious about what had been happening in the universe. The story starts out slow and it almost feels like the protagonists are supporting the actions of previously established characters. But in truth (and hindsight - 20/20, right?) it allows the reader to get to know Rhona and Vig while catching up with the five years! that has passed since the last book.

Rhona and Vig were likeable and easy to read. In many ways they are a nice change of pace from the beautifully written violent sociopaths of previous books. They are still fighters and have no qualms splitting a skull or twelve to achieve their goal, but that's not all they are about and their romance was a hoot. However, this story isn't solely about their romance, so if you are looking for magical romance that is all about the courtship of the couple, then this story will meet your requirements.

The Dragon Who Loved Me is more about the plot of the universe than the courtship of the couple. That just means that this story could happen without the main characters falling in love. This doesn't take away from Rhona and Vig. They are still a believable and likeable couple that you can root for.

I have to add that I loved the creepy, scary dragon/human children. They need more cousins or siblings. LOL. Fans waiting for Éibhear/Izzy will have to keep waiting as things go from bad to worse. Also,  I loved Izzy. She's just like Annwyl with less 'mad cow'. LOL.

It was great catching up with previous characters and getting hints of new ones. As long as we get more stories with those Irons, the water dragons (from Dragon on Top), the Spikes and the insane Cadwaladrs, I'll be a happy camper.

Fangirl squee much? You'd think Aiken was paying me (she's not :), but I truly love this epic adventure dragon series that just happens to have a ton of smut. If you are looking for brainless dragon boinking, this isn't the series for you. But if you love plot, raunchy humor and kick ass babes, pick up this series. Just start with the first book.

0 comments:

Tell us what you think...