Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Grave Witch by Kalayna Price


Title: Grave Witch (Alex Craft #1)
Author: Kalayna Price
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Heat Index: 1 out of 5
Release Date: December 16th, 2010
Word/Page Count: 325 pages
Format: Purchased

Not even death can save her now.

As a grave witch, Alex Craft can speak to the dead-she's even on good terms with Death himself. As a consultant for the police, she's seen a lot of dark magic, but nothing has prepared her for her latest case. When she's raising a "shade" involved in a high profile murder, it attacks her, and then someone makes an attempt on her life. Someone really doesn't want her to know what the dead have to say, and she'll have to work with mysterious homicide detective Falin Andrews to figure out why...



Arai's Review:

I read this book a bit ago and thought that, with time, I’d be able to have some more coherent thoughts about it. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this book; it was well-written, had a good premise, and I had little issue with the main character.

If it sounds like I’m underwhelmed, it’s because I am.

While there was no big glaring issue that was inherently wrong with the book, I felt like it lacked something, that certain pizazz that series books require to make you run out and buy the next one or anxiously count down the days until the sequel is released. I already have “Grave Dance” on my Nook, have for a few months now, and haven’t yet read even the first page, if that’s any indication.

I did find myself intrigued by Death (the character, not the concept/event) and wishing there were more scenes with him. Price has the beginnings of a love triangle between Alex, Death, and Falin the agent which, honestly, I’m kind of tired of seeing love triangles. I’ll admit to enjoying them in some books, such as the Rhyzkahl-Kara-Ryan one in Diana Rowland’s Kara Gillian Series, but I much prefer to see the intricate development and attachment of one relationship versus the glimpses of possibility presented by two different options. In addition, I just didn’t care for Falin at all, finding him cold, distant, and unrelateable as a character, so that adds to my dislike of this particular love triangle.

In regards to events existing outside potential love interests, I liked the world and Alex’s abilities. I wish it would have been explored a bit more. One thought was using the possibility of more world-building/exploration being used in an action scene because I felt there were quite a few lulls in the book that could have used a little bit of a boost.

Looking at some reviews on GoodReads, there are several comments regarding how the grave witch ability seen in this book is very similar to the Anita Blake series. Having not read the series (which is probably grounds for blasphemy within the paranormal/urban fantasy book group, I know, I’ll take my punishment later), I’m afraid I can’t offer much comment on that particular thought. I can add that, at this point in time, it’s very hard to find something completely unique and different in Urban Fantasy. There are a lot of talented authors writing this genre which is great because we reap the benefits, but we’re also going to end up with a bit of overlap from time to time.

I enjoyed the time I spent reading this book and I’m sure the next two will pass just as pleasantly, but I can’t say this book left a lasting impression. My recommendation is to check it out on a rainy or snowy afternoon when you’re looking for a way to while away the time.

Poena's Review:

The 'taint of Anita Blake' is a perfect way to describe this book. It's a solid start for a new series and I liked this story, but... there is no mind-blowing originality in this story and that's not a problem, actually. There are some very clever world building moments in this story and the characters are likable. This was a good read and I'd rec it as such. A good read but not great and it had potential to be awesome.

The writing is solid and the storytelling is entertaining. Perhaps five years ago, I would have been impressed but right now, good is simply cookie cutter. Heroine with potential to kick serious butt? Check. Sexy men? Check. Check. Love triangle. Check. Secret untapped power? Check. Wereleopard sex? Okay, uncheck, that's the taint talking, but you get my drift.

I think maybe the biggest problem with this book is me. I love this genre and inhale it, so I'm jaded. But what the heck is the deal with the epidemic of 1stPOV in this genre? All of these heroines are becoming so interchangeable that it's like looking at a herd of zebras.

Don't get me wrong. Will I read the next Alex Craft book? Yes. Will I be counting down the days to it? No.




0 comments:

Tell us what you think...