Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: Breathless by Anne Stuart


Title: Breathless (The House of Rohan #3)
Author: Anne Stuart
Genre: Historical Romance
Heat Index: 4 out of 5
Release Date: October 1st, 2010
Word/Page Count: 379 pages
Format: Purchased

Ruined beyond repair and shunned by London society, lovely Miranda Rohan rebelliously embraces the freedom that comes from having nothing left to lose. However, this dangerous course throws her under the power of the darkly enigmatic Lucien de Malheur—known to many as the Scorpion.

Seeking to destroy the Rohans, Lucien traps Miranda in a marriage she thinks is based on friendship but instead is rooted in vengeance. Yet even when she realizes the truth, their enmity fuels a shocking passion—and perhaps even more.

Such a man might drive anyone to murder....




Wow. After reading the previous books in the Rohan series, I approached Breathless with not so much trepidation, as a sense of, "why am I putting myself through this, again?" The previous books have been so mid-line hit-or-miss for me, I honestly don't know why I bothered with this third one.

BOY am I glad I did! How unexpectedly awesome! The banter is spot on, I loved all the characters, the secondary romance was freakin' adorable, and the sex was steamy. If I have any criticism, it's the overuse of certain adjectives for Lucien (particularly his voice - it's silky and sinuous, we get it.). Fortunately, that seemed to ease up a bit later on.

Elements you'll either love or hate: disfigured, brooding, really bad-boy hero (seriously - we're not talking "ooooh he's a rake" here, this guy is really kind of an asshole. But he does do a turnaround, and it's done well). I-hate-your-guts-but-my-body-can't-control-its-lust trope, wallflowers-turned-adventuresses, first-orgasm-evar, etc. And dude - JEWEL THIEF. *KING* of thieves, even! So awesome. Still, it might not be for everyone. Like I said, Lucien is a right bastard, and that might not appeal to everyone. I'd rather have a real bad-boy than a lame-ass piece of cardboard any day.

And the banter and chemistry between the main couple - I really laughed out loud. Many times. Miranda and Lucien reminded me of those fiery couples in those old black and white romances where they're practically trying to kill each other but they clearly love each other. It was written so well, here.

I really am just so delighted and surprised. I absolutely did not expect to get a 5-star reading experience from this book. At most, I was hoping for a high 3-stars. I will absolutely read this one again, and recommend it to others. Yay!



0 comments:

Tell us what you think...